A relative of RedlineNorth offered to give us a sneak peak of his newly delivered GMC Sierra 2500HD truck. We thought this would be an interesting story for readers since it is quite a different focus from our usual coverage.
Model Specs: GMC 2500HD series, SLT, Crew Cab, 2WD, 6’6″ box
The owner and his wife are retired educators and use this “Grand Daddy” of trucks to haul their Jayco Eagle fifth wheel to various locations in the U.S. Sunbelt over the winter months. Based in Southwestern Ontario, Canada they plan to put lots of miles on this rig over the next few years so they decided to go all out with the available bells and whistles.
Based on the pictures it looks like their annual drive down to the sunny US is more comfortable than watching Sunday afternoon football in most people’s living rooms.
- Duramax 6.6L turbo diesel engine with 397 hp at 3000 rpm and 765 lb-ft of torque at 1600 rpm (for pulling a Jayco Eagle fifth wheel trailer)
- Engine can run on B20 fuel – 20 percent biodiesel
- Smart exhaust brake which (when engaged) will slow the truck on downhill grades a savings in brake pads and rotors as well as more control when towing our trailer
- Exhaust is connected to a special catalytic converter which reduces the oxides of nitrogen to nitrogen gas and water by using a urea based solution or Diesel Emissions Fluid (DEF)
- Six speed Allison 1000 transmission provides tap-up/tap-down shifting, auto grade braking and a tow/haul mode
- Eaton locking rear differential permits both rear wheels to benefit from the power transmitted through the system
- Four wheel disc brakes with 14 inch diameters and twin piston calibers (and the usual ABS) provides more confidence while trailer hauling when emergency or even normal stopping is required.
- Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control which detects when a wheel is about to spin laterally and then applies the necessary brake(s) to regain control.
- This control system provides hill hold assist as the driver’s foot moves from the brake pedal to the gas pedal.
Some of the Interior features include:
- Front, heated, leather Captain seats with 2 position driver memory
- On-Star communication and assistance service
- XM Satellite Radio played through a Bose Premium sound system
- Electric rear window defogger (very useful in a crew cab)
- Steering wheel controls for radio, Bluetooth and cruise
Exterior features include:
*Some features are aftermarket and did not come from GMC dealer
- Large, heated camper type mirrors with integrated turn signals and bottom-mounted convex mirrors that are great for monitoring proximity to curbs or trailer tires.
- Extang tonneau cover to protect cargo and increase fuel economy by reducing wind drag by the tailgate.
- Line-X coating of the truck box and side rails reduces abrasion by movement of stored items
- Bug/stone deflector on hood
- Luverne nerf bars
- Wheel house linings to reduce noise
- Cloud-Rider stone guards on all four wheels to protect the front of the trailer as well as the sheet metal of the truck
Many readers may wonder why the owner chose a two wheel drive truck over a 4×4 drive version. Well, there are a couple of reasons why they went the two wheel drive route. Firstly, a front differential adds significant weight, increases maintenance costs, and reduces trailering capacity for both ball hitch and fifth wheel hitch trailering. Secondly, the owners rarely require the traction ability of a 4×4 wheel vehicle and they appreciate the added fuel economy from the diesel powered 2WD on their long trips to the southern US.
4536 kg/10,000 lb
1378 kg/3037 lb
- Fifth wheel trailering
7893 kg/17,400 lb
- Ball hitch trailering
5897 kg/13,000 lb